The PDARC W0OJY Norwegian Hill Repeater is located 8.31 miles southwest of Springfield, SD and overlooks the Missouri River. At the top of a 65′ pole, the antenna is mounted at 1727′ above sea level. It is linked to the our Vermillion and Yankton repeaters.
- 8.31 miles southwest of Springfield, SD overlooking the Missouri River. 42 degrees 48.520 minutes N, 98 degrees 2.896 minutes W.
- 147.210+ with a tone of 146.2. The deviation is set for 5 khz.
- 3 minute timer.
- Courtesy beep on carrier drop which takes 2 seconds.
- Battery backup is automatic. When on battery back up there is a beep every 60 seconds when the repeater is transmitting.
- Site is at 1662 feet above sea level.
- 65 foot pole so base of VHF antenna is 1727 feet above sea level looking north, northeast, east and southeast for many miles.
- SE, S, W & NW coverage seems to be quite solid for 30 miles.
- 6 dbd cardioid antenna pattern.
- 25 watts out of TKR-750, after duplexer loss and heliax loss it is 17 watts at the base of the antenna so it is 68 watts ERP. Feed line loss is 1 watt.
- Receiver sensitivity is .45 uv, meets spec’s.
- DB-222 new DB-Products commercial antenna and new galvanized clamps.
- DC ground #6 solid copper from antenna to pole ground and two ground rods.
- 4 grounding kits on VHF heliax and 1 grounding kit on UHF heliax each where it leaves the pole.
- TKR-750 Version 2 SN709000076, used but recent production, meets spec’s & is latest version.
- 7/8″ heliax 50 feet & two connectors, used checked for reflected and power loss, meets spec’s.
- TX-RX Duplexer Model 26-37-02A, SN29157-A Vari-notch 144-174 MHz, meets spec’s.
- Ground wire, connectors and ground rod.
- SM-50 UHF link radio.
- Corner Reflector UHF (10Dbd) DB products, feed with 7/8″ heliax at 50 feet, no reflected power.
- 2 Sam’s Club Deep Cycle Golf Cart 6 vdc batteries(GC2) 208 AH @ 20 Amp.
- Samlex sec-1230UL smart charger/power supply 30 Amp.
- Battery cables and lugs.
- 1 amp power required on receive.
- 13 amp power required on TX-RX.
- Estimated 4 days on battery back up on receive (To 60% battery discharge).
- Estimated 2 days on battery backup TX-RX (To 60% battery discharge).
- TKR-750 is set for 10.7 volts minimum voltage.
- UHF link radio and controller are on battery back up.
- Repeater station is fed by a dedicated 30 amp breaker.
- Repeater building appears to be rodent proof, sealed against rain and snow.
- -22 F to 140 F is repeater temperature operating range with fan set for thermostat control
Ed W0SD donated the equipment for Norwegian Hill and did all the tower work.
INSTALLED APRIL 22, 2015
Pictures taken by N0AIE, W0EJ, K0WIU and W0SD
NORWEGIAN HILL REPEATER INSTALLATON CREW
Left to Right Everett, N0AIE, Bill-K0WIU, Ed W0SD, Bruce K8UDH
W0SD Ed on Pole
W0SD Ed installing antenna mounting clamps
Norwegian Hill Repeater
UHF link Corner Reflector VHF DB-222 Repeater Antenna
View to Southwest looking over the Missouri River from Norwegian Hill.
Ed W0SD Installing VHF antenna
Ed W0SD Installing UHF corner Reflector Repeater building and pole
View to Northeast toward Yankton from Norwegian Hill What a stretch!!!
Coming down is harder than going up in some ways but not as physically demanding.
Mike KE0CLO (left) and Bill W0EJ (right) did an awesome job of wiring!!!
UHF controller in gray box designed and constructed by Fred WA0GMH. Install 5-21-2015, Fan is turned on and off with a thermal switch on the UHF SM-50 Motorola heat sink.